Sunday 19 May 2019

systemd.unit=rescue.target

Just another quick one liner: a Grub config argument which I had to dig for but which is really useful when this sort of thing happens

Faced with a server that was rebooting after an upgrade and dropping to sytemd emergency target:

Rebooting and adding

ssytemd.unit=rescue.target

to the end of the Linux command line in the Grub config as the machine booted and then pressing F10 allowed me to drop to a full featured rescue environment with read/write access to the disk and to sort out the partial upgrade mess.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I just finished taking the RHEL systems engineer class and they did talk about this.

    I kinda wish we would have more of an ecosystem where we would be able to more easily find good documentation and tips on these sorts of things.

    Google searches bring up Stackexchage answers WAY more than I am comfortable with. It didn't use to be that way.

    ReplyDelete